Third Space is now seeking project proposals from artists, collectives and organizations to be included in THIRD SHIFT, our annual festival of public contemporary artworks.
Established in 2015, THIRD SHIFT aims to offer citizens a unique opportunity to engage with contemporary art and re-imagine their city. THIRD SHIFT holds space for new experiences and communal exchange through the exhibition of temporary installations, interventions, performances and projections in the heart of Uptown Saint John. Motivated by the potential for deeper engagement, THIRD SHIFT is proud to announce it has expanded its schedule to include two days of artistic presentations and workshops leading up to our signature nighttime exhibition on Friday, August 17th, 2018.
Geographically, THIRD SHIFT takes place within unceded territory of the Wolastoqiyik, Mi’kmaq, and Passamaquoddy First Nations and in Canada’s first incorporated city. In preparation for our fourth year, Third Space is now seeking project proposals from artists, collectives and organizations to be included in our one-night-only exhibition of public contemporary artworks. We encourage proposals that reflect our objectives as an alternative, non-commercial, contemporary artist-run centre. We aim to support efforts that are exploratory, challenging and critical in nature. We encourage emerging and established artists to propose projects that have not yet been realized as well as investigations that have been started or completed elsewhere.
Guidelines for submitting proposals:
- Projects must be temporary or ephemeral in nature.
- Third Space will be paying selected artists an honorarium fee in accordance to the 2018 CARFAC fee schedule.
- Limited production, travel and accommodation funds will be available. Amounts will depend on Third Space’s financial resources for the festival. Funding requirements must be outlined in your proposal.
- Please note: Third space does not provide technical equipment for projects such as projectors, screens and cables. We will however help artists secure power sources.
- We ask that artists who were selected in 2017 do not apply again until 2019. Please get in touch if you have any questions about this new criteria.
Submissions should include:
- Project description (max 500 words)
- Technical requirements (access to power sources etc.)
- Preferred location (general or site-specific)
- Artist bio (max 250 words)
- 6 to 10 images
- Numbered image list, including title, medium and dimensions. If including video and/or audio files please include a weblink.
- Please indicate if you are willing to offer an artist talk or workshop in conjunction with your project. Required technical equipment will be made available.
- Proposals should be sent by email to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: THIRD SHIFT 2018. Third Space will also accept proposals via phone, video or audio file if email or text-based format is not accessible to the applicant.
Deadline for submissions is April 1st, 2018.